By Macpat

Cheshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi folks. Can anyone tell me what this tree is please? From a distance it looks like a Rowan but up close is very different. As you can see, it has red berries and the leaves are very distinctive with a scolloped edge and the tree is of the same proportions as a Rowan.

I planted one last winter - Sorbus something-I'll-have-to-look-up

Sorbus aria - whitebeam!

Thank you Beattie! It is a pretty tree. Several have been planted this year in our newly refurbished shopping precinct. How big do they grow? Could I plant one in a smallish garden?

I buy my trees here -

It's described as medium sized, could be 8 metres tall in 10 years. I think it might be a bit big, though you know where you'd put it and how big "smallish" is.

A bit more digging makes me think that what you have is Swedish Whitebeam, Sorbus intermedia, as your leaves are more toothed.

Final height said to be 20 metres, so no, not really one for a smallish garden, I'd have said.

Thank you Beattie. I think I will plant one anyway. If it grows 8 metres in 10 years, I will be OK with that.

Not whitebeam, leaves too scalloped and too narrow. but it's probably S intermedia, as Beattie says. Look at Google images. Phil J

In my second answer I said it was Swedish whitebeam.

Thanks Beattie...I had already made a note before Philjeffs comment that it is Swedish Whitebeam.

« Thank you, so much to learn!