Tokyo, Japan Jp

Dear All,

We have a mountain retreat in Japan (see pcitures). I've been thinking about planting quantities of bulbs, daffs, crocus, tulips, bluebells, etc in an area of woodland walk. However, thre are wild boar in the area, and I saw two the other day. Does anyone know if they are likely to dig up and eat all the bulbs, especially in winter when food is scarce? It is just a weekend place, so we are not there often enough to be vigilent. Thanks, ptarotuos.

I'm sorry Ptarotuous - no experience of wild boar, so not sure whether they will or niot. I doubt they'll eat daffodils, as the bulbs are poisonous - here in London, squirrels certainly dig up and eat crocus, but they seem to leave tulips alone.

Knowing pigs (and I do know a few), they'll find ANYTHING edible and root it out! Phil J

I agree with Phil wild boar will eat anything they can dig up with their snouts.

Maybe you could plant the bulbs under chicken wire buried just under the surface of the soil?

If they are wild boar they will tear through chicken wire.