Brussels, Belgium Be

I have ivy coming through my garden fence from the abandoned house next door. Is there any way I could kill it off?

You'll need to do it from the roots, Avril - can you get into the garden next door with no problems with the owners, as you should have consent if the roots aren't in your garden? Cut it back and use a systemic weedkiller on it. You might have to repeat this.

Thanks Spritzhenry. Unfortunately the roots are in the garden next door and I can't get in there. Will try the weekkiller on it.

Oh dear - but systemic weedkiller should work theough the leaves. It won't look very attractive next door, or on your side, either, when it dies off!

Try copper nails in the thickest stems that you can get to (lots of them).

Ivy has a fairly waxy leaf and I've found most weed killers not particularly effective. You could try SBK brushwood killer which works on blackberries,other tough weeds and even kills tree stumps. Be careful not to get it on anything you want to keep and it says to allow 6 weeks between spraying and replanting in any soil sprayed.