Cold Frames - Glass or Polycarbonate?

Avon, United Kingdom Gb

Glass or Polycarbonate? Im thinking of buying a cold frame. P/carbonate attracts me cos I could lift it, and if I lose my balance and put my hand thru it possibly not so bad a result as glass. But will it REALLY to the job? Any comments appreciated

On plant Cold Frames

We have several glass cold frames all of which we are happy with. We bought one polycarbon one and are not happy with as it is too flimsy. Mind you we don't move our cold frames they are in permenant positions

Thanks Moon G,I quite liked the Gardman with the solid wooden frame and p/carb "glass" and it will be down the side of the greenhouse out of the wind. It had good reviews but just wondered if the p/carb wasnt as good for plants (in letting light in)

if you can afford it go for glass~we were at Heligan recently and they still have the victorian ones in use!

I wouldnt mind Arlene, if todays cold frames were still being made by Victorians...they did things in style with the best materials and pride in workmanship (and it would be prettier!)..but today..who knows..

Anyway, thanks for answering. We are almost certain to get polycarb because of the safety aspect.

« can i put grass cuttings on seeded area