By Casso

Kent, United Kingdom Gb

Our magnolia was getting too big and husband Dave cut it down to 3 feet from the ground. I thought he had killed it but it now has lots of leaves sprouting. Is this the magnolia coming back or something else?

The leaves do look like Magnolia! Maybe you could improve its appearance by sawing off the branches/trunk abovve the new growth.

Thank you Spritzhenry. I didn't know if magnolias were grafted onto something else and wonmdered if that was what was sprouting but I am glad it is still a magnolia. I miss it since it was chopped down. Dave regrets doing it now.

No - it should regrow OK now it's started to sprout. My only concern would be if the weather turns really cold - especially frosts or chilly winds - the new leaves may get damaged. Fingers crossed!

Magnolias are usually grafted fairly low, so I would remove any sprouts less than 15 cm from the ground.

And I would chain your husband to the stump for at least one day and pelt him with rotten tomatoes or eggs for being an impetuous numpty! ;-)

LOL Fractal

« How di I get rid of Horsetail?????