Clwyd, United Kingdom Gb

My garden is next to a farmer's field & my beech hedge and Queen Elizabeth roses have been eaten first by horses and now bullocks (the present occupants.) Any suggestions for a non poisonous hedge that won't get chewed? :-) Thanks! Jill

There is not a lot that livestock won't eat at all, Jill, except maybe something really prickly like holly. Why not talk to the farmer and ask if it is possible to have an electric fence put up a metre away fom the boundary, even if it at your cost.

agree -- electric fence should stop them hopefully the farmer will understand as some plants are not good for livestock

Berberis Thumbergil is Very prickly cattle will only eat some new growth, nice purple colour in summer/autumn but drops it's foliage in winter, slow growing to about one and half meters(4/5 years) we have the same happings with farmer next door with his cattle,maybe not much grass for them to eat as well