By Catrina

Somerset, United Kingdom Gb

I have just collected seed pods from my lupin plant, but I don't know what to do with them?. Also I don,t know when to plant them?. Can you pleas advise a novice gardeners.

I don't know either Catrina, but I usually do what nature would have done, and just scratch the soil a bit put them down and barely cover them, and gently water. The only difference is that you decide where you want them and not leave it to chance. Someone who really knows, may come along and say you should do something else. I haven't actually done lupins, but have done this with other plants.

Lupine seeds often benefit from being nicked with a nail file, or rubbed between layers of sandpaper (called scarifying) before planting. I've found that soaking them in warm water for a few hours in addition scarifying helps a lot.

« why are my shrubs not bushy