Oxfordshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi, I have a large mature (20 years) weeping willow- in fact I have two. They are about 30 feet apart. One is doing very well but one, in the last couple of weeks, appears to be dying. Most of its leaves have turned yellow any it looks very unhealthy. I have no idea what could be wrong with it, any ideas?

There is a lot on the internet if you type in 'weeping willow + diseases' Crown gall and root rot seem to be two quite common troubles. A friend has a huge one in his garden, which he has recently had the underside lifted higher. I always worry it is in striking distance of his house. They are beautiful trees but get so large.

It could be bacterial anthracnose. Are there small blackish lesions on the shoots?

Thank you for your help- There are brown flecks on the top and underside of the more yellow leaves.

These dark brown almost redish marks could be called lesions and are on some of the shoots.

It does sound like bacterial anthracnose.

pdf file here about it:

ps, it's a fungus too, not a bacterium.

Yes, it does sound like that, not sure that there is too much I can do then? Thank you Georgie

« thanks very much for the name