Allamanda vine

I bought some allamanda vines locally and planted them next to my house on trellices...then read the tag that was on the plant. It says for zone 10...I live in southern Michigan. It was sold to me as a perrinial but I can't see it surviving winter. Any advice on how to help it survive or should I kiss it good-bye now?

Answers

It seems very strange to me that a local nursery sells plant which would not survive in the climate of its location. I have no idea about your zoning ( we don't know that system ) but if you have icy cold winters, perhaps you can save them by pruning the vines back, even protecting them with newspaper and plastic around them. To me that seems a cumbersome method. See if they will drop their leaves in autumn and if they do then they will become dormant or semi dormant. But every vine can be pruned back drastically. It will make it survive. You can tell next spring if they shoot again, if not, then you can still kiss them goodbye. Worth while your try and don't forget you can contact the nursery and ask what the idea is, how to deal with them. Good luck there, M.