Lincolnshire, United Kingdom Gb

I think we have a phormium tenax in our garden, brought it about 3 years ago whilst on holiday in cornwall, after the weather this winter the middle has gone brown, outer leaves still healthy and green, please any advice on what to do to save it. many thanks.

On plant Phormium

I'd cut out the dead leaves and hope that it re-gows. There's not much you can do until it decides whether it wants to live!

If the outer leaves are healthy and growing, just remove the dead growth from the centre. If no growth occurs from the central part after another month and it looks ugly, dig it up and split it, replanting the healthy sections.

• For Sid............ (Phormium tenax (New Zealand flax))
  • For my records, new plant Phormium 'Platts Black' (Phormium tenax (New Zealand flax))
  • Phormium Pink Panther leaf.... (Phormium tenax (New Zealand flax) Pink Panther)
  • Viburnum Tinus 'Eve Price', Ribes 'White Icicle' and Phormium 'Moonraker' (phormium)