By Great

London, United Kingdom Gb

Can you get field scabious in a dark red colour? I have something that looks very much like scabious but has a smaller flower. Here's a picture of the flower and of the leaves

005 008

This is Knautia macedonica. The bees love the flowers. Deadhead the stems as after all the flowers have finished and it should flower all summer long. In the autumn cut down the stems and it will increase in size every year.

Wonderful thanks Volunteer if the bees love it it can stay and populate is that the right word???

It certainly will populate. I spend as much time pulling out unwanted seedlings of this as I do almost anything else. It really does need dead heading if you do not want it to propagate itself all over the place.

I rather like it Owdboggy! Its like pot marigolds they seed everywhere, now they get on my nerves as they seed in what little grass I have!!