By Beattie

Cornwall, United Kingdom Gb

making an artificial stream. I hope to construct an artificial stream (a trickle) in my garden with a zigzagg run of about 40 feet downhill with a drop of about 10 feet from top to bottom. The water will come out of a pipe under a feature and run in some sort of channel to a reservoir I intend to bury. Does anyone have some general advice? Do you think the pump could be solar powered? What do I line the channel with? Thanks

You have to get a pump that is strong enough to shift the water up to the height that you want and in the quantity that will look right. A 10 foot drop will need a large powerful pump. Solar pumps are a bit weak. It's quite a calculation to work out what size you will need. Phone the people at Bradshaws (on their website). They are knowledgeable and can help you decide.

Thank you Volunteer. It's useful to know where to start looking for kit & info. I read elsewhere on here, after I posted my question, that solar pumps are weak - a lift of 10" was quoted . :-( not nearly enough. Perhaps I could have several smaller ones.....