By Windy

cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

Can anybody help me identify this caterpillar & its adult ? ive got a book on moths &butterflies but i cant seem to find it in there, im 90% sure it has to be a moth....many thanx ;)

if it is very big i believe its a giant hawk moth caterpiller .i hope ive can just look up hawk moth on google images and see if im right.they are as big as your hand when they change into a moth.

Hi I found one of these last summer, very close to a wild privet bush in my garden, so I believe it is a privet hawk moth caterpillar.

great minds michael lol.

it is i just looked on google

Thanks v much ;) i had a photo of a privet i found in my garden but i seem to have lost the pic, it never occurred to me the two were connected...thanks again.

your more than welcome

AMAZING... Ive jst discovered that my hedgerow ive got in my garden which i inherited wth the house 5 years ago is a privet hedge & bees & butterflies absolutely love it in july.....i would totally recommend to anybody who wants to attract more bees & butterflies to their garden this plant.(more of it the better). thankyou again & again. ;)

Great - is it a wild privet? hope I find another caterpillar this year.