By Great

London, United Kingdom Gb

Suggestions please for screening the compost bins and wormeries

hi great -- i`v used trellis

We put up hit and miss fencing.

was thinking of a mix of the two actually. But what shall I get to climb up it? Hate clematis!!

I have a wide hedge and I cut some branches out and put my composter there, it is in the shade and nobody can see it from the front of the garden.

Thanks Rogi havent got any hedges! Garden seems to have evolved quite a lot since I asked this question in April. Didn't know anyone could go back so far in time to answer a question. I guess I should say thanks for answering. I have my compost bin next to a new fence, still trying to find a nice flowering plant to grow up trellis around it though

Hallo Great, actually I was looking for some other topic when I came upon your question, so I just thought I´d tell you how I solved the problem.

How about pyracantha. It is evergreen, has white flowers and then red, yellow or orange berries. The birds seem to leave them alone until well on into the winter so you have colour all year round. it does nt need staking as it will grow in to self supporting hedge if kept trimmed. It is thorny so yu could use cotoneaster horizontalis instead, but the berries are favoured by the birds in the early winter. Both of these grow quickly and do not mind the shade.

• Behind the greenhouse
  • Multipurpose Compost
  • A garden flower photo
  • Compost bins with willow and pond