London, United Kingdom Gb

hebe cuttings
how to take cuttings

Not at this time of year! Wait until the summer, then cut 5" non-flowering stem tips, cut them back to 4" and remove the bottom leaves. Dip them into rooting powder and dibble them into pots - round the edge. If you can give them some bottom heat in a propagator, that will help, otherwise, tie a plastic bag supported on sticks over the top - and wait until the roots appear. Take the bag off occasionally and wipe off the moisture.

Pot them up individually once they have a decent set of roots.

These are very easy. Use a non flowering stem. cut about a 3" long stem, pull the lower leaves off leaving about 4-6 leaves at the tip. Push into a good all purpose compost and keep well lit and lightly watered. At this time of year they will need gentle bottom heat so a propagoator or a warm room. You can use rooting powder too if you wish to. I usually put 4-6 in a 3" diameter pot.

Well, Sbg - we seem to agree mostly - but I still wouldn't do it at this time of year - better in the summer. :-)))

yes i agree but i did do some today as i hacked one back and couldnt just through it all away.

I'd do that as well! Waste not, want not.

drives hubby mad even more pots. but i call it insurance.

• Winter's Coming... (Hebe andersonii variegata)
  • Hebe
  • Hebe 'Heartbreaker' (Hebe)
  • Hebe  'Golden variegated'