I am looking for advice on some David Austin roses. I am planning for next year and looking for a small rose that will be planted outside my living room. The better the leaves look and the more it flowers the better. The roses that I am considering are: The Mayflower, Molinuex, Sir John Betjeman and Princess Alexandra of Kent.

Some lovely choices there. I only have experience of The Mayflower....which is a lovely rose and doesn't get too large. Have you tried David Austin's website. I am sure they will give you anticipated heights etc.,

The Mayflower also has some rugosa in it's ancestry so it's foliage is immune from the usual fungal problems such as rust, mildew, blackspot etc.

I grew Molineux for several years. The only thing I found was the flowers fade as they age which may or may not be to your liking

They do however hold up better than most to bad weather.

Thanks to all of you - now for decisions, ugh

I was told personally by Michael Marriott of David Austin Roses that any variety that came out after 2000 should be good. You should use that as a rule of thumb I think though you may only get the date of release in their catalogue.

Thanks to all. Ronelle

• Lavander Rose (Cotoneaster roseus)
  • 3 Bluemoon Flowers
  • Summer Perfection................
  • patio rose

should you prune the plant? »