Thank-you for the responses to my question re my Convolvulus. After seeing photos, there's no doubt that it is Convolvulus mauritanicus. It would seem to me that it should be in the garden rather than a basket. We do live on the south coast - can it be in the garden rather than a tub or basket? Wonderful to have found this site!

Well it can, but you run the risk of losing it, because it's more exposed. And it is lovely in a tall tub, trailing down the outside, but it's up to you - I wouldn't put in the garden because you'd need to have some kind of framework to attach it to, or it'll sprawl all across the ground, but that's just my preference.

I have two in my front garden.
One is ground cover and one trails over a wall, they're great plants !

Oh, to live in the mild south west, as you do, Louise! Not sure where Brackets lives though...

I'm always thankful i live here Bamboo, i take a lot of liberties with my plants and planting and they've mostly always paid off ;-)
I wouldn't get away with it anywhere else, i know !

Missed this one. My parents had C. mauritanicus growing at the base of a south wall where is sprawled out into a nice patch of low stems, leaves and lovely blue flowers in SE Northumberland for at leat five years. Given the right spot it is a great plant.

Thanks everybody!