Winter care for Dahlias

By Reem777

Northanmptonshire, United Kingdom Gb

I grew Dahlias for the first time this year, they are in pots. I've read that Dahlias should be lifted and stored in dry compost in a shed over winter. As mine are already in pots i've just cut the stems to just above the compost and put them in my shed as they are in their pots, is this ok?

I too grow them in pots. They will be ok left in their pots as long as the compost is bone dry, and they are kept frost free. If you' r shed is not guaranteed frost free you could try lagging the pots and hope for the best. They would actually be better taken out of the pots, the soil washed off; dried and placed in boxes of dry peat, kept in a cool place in the house Good luck!

Many thanks, will take your advice then and dry them off and over winter in the house.

Dont forget to put them upside down to drain for a couple of weeks Reem

Thanks Drc...I forgot to mention the upside down

Mine rotted the first year because I didnt know Amblealice.

Thats a shame Drc......we live and learn.:)

Hi Reem777, I did a blog on over wintering Dahlias. Its called 'Putting Dahlias to bed', and was posted on I think 18 oct. it includes some photos, It might be useful to you.Frank

And very good it was Frank.

Thanks Drc726

Frank I will certainly read your blog, thanks all for the advice.