Cardiff, United Kingdom Gb

I wish to plant a gooseberry bush into a pot - which compost should I use

On plant Invicta

Gooseberries are best grown in the ground, but if it is absolutely impossible to do that, then I would use a mixture of good garden soil, grit, and john innes number 3, and you will need a very large pot, invicta is one of the heaviest cropping varieties, so be prepared to feed regularly, Derek.

thank you very much for that - perhaprs I will find a spot to pthlant it into the ground!

I agree with Derekm that you will find it almost impossible to fruit it well in a pot, as gooseberries root deeply and need good fertile soil to succeed. They don't even do well in dry ground. The only way you might succeed would be with heavy feeding during the growing season. If you can find a patch of ground somewhere, far better there than in a pot.

Greenfinch is not susceptible to American Blight and also crops heavily. If a pot is essential try a half barrel.

Thanks again - I will take your advice and find a spot to plant it!