Split opinion

By Bernard

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

i have two opinions about the identity of this plant, one says hypericum calycinum (Rose of Sharon), the other says Kerria Japonica. Would anyone care to arbitrate?

Would like a closer view of the leaf and flower, but I think it looks more like Kerria japonica than Hypericum.

Hard one to tell, a closer look would help though, the leaves look like Kerria the flowers look like hypericum. I have a Kerria it grows quite high and wide, is yours likely?

Agree close up of leaf and flower needed as could be either

It's the single-flowered form of kerria japonica - much less common than the double-flowered one that suckers so badly

I'll agree with you there Andrew. I had the flore pleno because I thought it looked so pretty. Then I found stems of it coming up ten feet away in all directions. It's been recycled.

i agree andrew, the neighbour has a lovely one of these. I actually like it better than the double kerria.

Damn stuff - spent half my life trying to get rid of it from people's gardens. Pretty flowers, takes over everywhere.

Thanks folks,

I think I'm clear now.