By Andrea

Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Advice on splitting Iris. I have some Iris plants that have been in the ground now for about 3 years and really could do with digging up and splitting before replanting. It won`t be easy as they have been in the ground so long. Any advice appreciated on how and when to tackle this?

Your irises don't look as if they are needing splitting yet to me... You can dig them up and split and it isn't difficult to do just get in there with a large fork once they have finished flowering and lift them. Separate the rhizomes and replant where you want them having cut back the foliage to just a few inches.

Thanks for that, this is an old picture, taken in their second year, so a bit deceiving, they have deteriorated since then, so will follow your advice to split hem. Would it be ok to do that witin the next 2 weeks?

Yes go ahead and split anytime now.

Thanks ...hope it`s dry at the weekend!:-)