stu

By Stu

Cleveland, United Kingdom Gb

The property we moved into last July has a lawn that is bumpy and I think compacted. It was full of weeds but after a couple of applications of weed & feed they have all gone. In the spring I planned to work on it to get it into some kind of better shape.

If I buy/hire a lawn aerator/plugger what should I fill the holes in with?

I think I also need to top dress it, What should I top dress it with?

Any help & advice would be most appreciated.

Answers

I would start by scarifying the lawn. Unless you have a poor drainage problem, I would just use a garden fork and go all over spiking the lawn. For top dressing perhaps 2 parts of sharp sand, (Not horticultural) to 1 of fine, sifted top soil. To this, I would add some fine bone meal. Give it a good covering as the new growth will soon come through. This will give a slow release of nitrogen and phosphorous which will encourage good root growth in the Spring. Try to walk on the prepared lawn a little as possible. You could buy prepared lawn dressing but my way should be somewhat cheaper.

stu
Stu

Many thanks.