The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

The Mayflower

The Mayflower

Round here this is known as the Mayflower. I'm finding it difficult to learn its botanical name. Can you help

Comments on this photo


Cardamine pratensis
Also called Lady's smock and Cockoo flower.
There's loads of it all over the place this year. It's very pretty

21 May, 2010


Awh that's nice, I was wondering too because some turned up below our mixed hedge, I think for the first time, this Spring. Is it the same thing as "Cuckoo Pint" please Hywel?

27 Jun, 2010


No. Cuckoo pint is a different flower - Arum Maculatum. It looks something like a green lily.

28 Jun, 2010


Begging your pudding, I think i meant to say cuckoo spit, if there is such a thing? Sorry to lower the tone, blame my Mum !

6 Jul, 2010


Cuckoo spit is a frothy stuff you find on the stems of plants at this time of year. It is made by an insect and protects a baby one inside it. I forget the name of the insect. I think it's called a froghopper beetle or something like that.

7 Jul, 2010


Hywel, that's really interesting. I've noticed it, of course, but have never taken any interest in it. I'm going to find out more now. Thanks for that.

7 Jul, 2010


It is the froghopper. That pulls together two separate things I've noticed. The cuckoo spit and a beautiful black and orange beetle which is what the young froghopper turns into. Nice to learn something.

7 Jul, 2010


I was right then lol :o)
Thanks. Glad you found out too :o)

7 Jul, 2010


oh dear, i was way off course Hywel - back to the drawing board I think. Need to google cuckoo pint.

7 Jul, 2010


Yes that's the plant.

7 Jul, 2010

Comment on this photo

Pictures by peterdenenberg
5 of 10

  • Archangel_004
  • Late_may_2010_011

What else?

Members who like this photo

  • Gardening with friends since
    27 Feb, 2009

  • Gardening with friends since
    9 Aug, 2009

  • Gardening with friends since
    23 Mar, 2008

  • Gardening with friends since
    11 May, 2011