help me identify this plant

this plant has appeared in a container planter, the flowering spike is now around 6ft high and has lots of small yellow flower all the way up the spike, the flowers are rather small with four petals and the centre is brown with stamens, leaves are in what i would describe as a spiral, plus there are now around five more flower spike coming out of the main stem but these are only around 6 ins in length,i throught it was a weed at first

It sounds like a Verbascum Olympia or Greater Mullein.....are the leaves soft, greyish and downy? A super plant for the back of a sunny dry border or as a statement....:o)

that would be my guess too. they are lovely plants.

Or perhaps Verbascum thlaspi.

Or the Phlomoides, Owdboggy.....apparently its a waste ground type Mullein especially in the south, though not sure where you're located Loobeysue.

Certainly a weed of my garden. We only leave it in for the Mullain moths to feast upon!

i deliberately grow it as i love the yellow flowers.

So do I. Looks lovely against a drift of blue cornflowers and white foxgloves.

• Strawberry pink Verbascum (Verbascum)
  • Verbascum - Snow Maiden close-up (Verbascum)
  • Verbascum   '  White '   Mullein
  • Creamy white Verbascum (Verbascum)