Midlothian, United Kingdom Gb

How to improve fly soil in borders.

Phyllis, what's 'fly' soil? Whatever it means, improvement of any soil is achieved by adding humus rich materials, so things like soil conditioning compost from the garden centre, composted animal manures, your own garden compost, leaf mould, spent mushroom compost, things like that.

Oops should be my soil which is mainly clay. Have checked answers to this and sharp sand might be the answer. Have already used mulch and will lay more before winter sets in. Really new to gardening so all advice will be helpful.
Thanks for comments.

Don't waste your money on sharp sand - buy horticultural grit instead, most garden centres sell it in larger size bags. That and plenty of humus rich material as listed in my previous answer. The more you dig in, or at least add, the better it gets...

I would add only what Bamboo has said above and not bother with any sort of sand. It add no nutrition and humus (bark and compost etc) will make the soil less compacted.

Thanks Bamboo & Kildermorie got the grit and mulch ordered.

i agree with bamboo/kildermorie.the sand will compact down also no nutrients i would use lots of general compost 'or if available manure lay on top over winter and let worms take it down while they make holes letting air in at the same time