Avon, United Kingdom Gb

I have seen various coloured phlox growing over a metre high in a country garden. I have been told that they are American but I have looked up "American Phlox and they only seem to be 60cm high. Can anyone tell me what these taller varieties would be?

Google Phlox paniculata. That is the herbaceous type which you may well have seen. Daft to call them American Phlox as it is a purely American genus, ranging in size from inch high Alpine types to the tall border ones.

Thanks again for your answer Owdboggy, I have looked up paniculata and you were absolutely right so I'm off to the nurseries to get a few

There are some beauties of them. I especially like the ones with a white eye. They are a bit prone to mildew so need a dampish soil or plenty of watering and some fungicide, but worth the effort.