By Hank

Cheshire, United Kingdom Gb

Shallots YES. ,

i set 20 shallots on April 7th this year and because the tops were all straggling on the ground I dug them up and they are now drying out . I was well chuffed - I got about 60 ! Now I understand I should save the bigger ones to reset at the right time and pickle the rest. Or do I ? Do I have any other option ? And lastly - when do I reset them ? Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't pickle them but use them to cook with. They give a delicious flavour to all kinds of recipes - such as roasting them along with all sorts of other vegetables.

I would get fresh bulbs to set next Spring because they come from a different area. Prevents viral infections.
I used to sow Parsnip seed in March, then plant the Shallot bulbs. Seasonal weather means the Parsnip seed has to go into Peat pots in March in the greenhouse!

I just looked on the internet and was told to set small shallots to grow big ones and vice versa. Can't be right can It ?

Yes Hank, thats right, you will be amazed at how quickly they grow, but I am not sure whether this will work at this time of year.

Thanks all, I gather I can set them in October.