By Ellas

Hi, I have recently bought a small Acer palmatum (a lovely wine red colour) but I've noticed small tan-coloured patches, spots and streaks have developed on the leaves (apparently randomly distributed, not only on the edges). I took a closer look and in one place saw that part of one leaf was "sewn" together by a dense web, that looked as if it had a caterpillar or grub inside. I'm not sure if the spots are related to the web, and I don't know what I should do about either! Please help, it doesn't look nearly as pretty with beige bits on the leaves! Thanks,

I find that it is very delicate and doesn't like the wind or rain, could this have caused the damage do you think?

Thanks, it could be that, although it is in a corner protected by a fence and a shed so I was hoping it would avoid most of the wind. Mind you the weather has been pretty bad recently! Hopefully it will heal.