By Pinky

kent, United Kingdom Gb

I have this week repotted a very large camelia(with help!) It was so potbound it had taken on the shape of the pot and roots formed a crust which I had to break through to give it a chance to root into the new compost. It's now in the biggest barrel available but still looks top heavy. As it's already stressed should I prune it a bit now or leave it until next year?

It is a bit late to prune a Camellia, best done early June. I think I'd be inclined to wait and see how much dies back, and then just remove those parts back to live wood this year. Next year, you may want to prune it back by a third after its flowered, around end of May, early June. It does sound as if it would be better put in the ground though...

Thanks Bamboo, I'd prefer it inthe ground but it's flinty/chalky and full of roots from nearby trees, so I don't think it would survive.

You're probably right about that, lol - next time you need a very, very large container, the sort of thing they grow trees in.