Gloucestershire, United Kingdom Gb

Is wild elder wood and trimmings ok to woodchip for mulch? I don't want them to re-root all over my garden.

As long as there are no berries on it and they chippings are allowed to rot down a little before using as mulch, then there should be no problems. Using fresh stuff is not good for the soil in any case, it takes nitrogen out of the soil to aid decomposition. I store our chippings in bags for about 6 months before using.

Good point about the berries. Thanks for the advice. I was worried that the soft wood might root itself.

I think any fresh chippings other than pine type can encourage coral spot. Safer to follow Owdboggys advice I think

That great. Thanks

I ve done this for many years now and like Owd i always leave them for 6 months. you may well get toadstools growing on them even after 6 months but they havent been a problem.