By Jcee

berks., United Kingdom Gb

Can anyone please tell me about Almonds; I have two Almond trees and they produce lots of Almonds.They are a bit like the Horse Chestnut in that the kernel is covered over by a fibreous cover. When they fall,they open slightly revealing the kernel. How do you know when they are ripe and what do you do to them when you do?!!

A friend has an almond tree and picks them when the kernels split open, then keeps them somewhere dry for a while. You will have to crack one and see when you think its ready to eat - a bit hit and miss really.

Thank you Cammomile,hit and miss it might be but its the only answer I've had so thanks again.Another thought crossed my mind in how do you roast them?

Obviously shelled and put on a roasting/baking tray in the oven - keep an eye on it or they'll burn.

I've just spent an hour or more cracking open the almonds that I had in store from last year-tell you what Cammomile I dont think i'll bother!!

Don't blame you - aren't they hard to crack.