By Cuttsy

I have about 12 rhododedrons around garden, some in pots, some in ground. About 4/5 of them haven't flowered for past 2/3 years even though the keep producing loads of new shoots and getting bigger and bigger, why is this? They may produce say 1 flower but thats all - should I be pruning them? I do deadhead them once they have flowered.

Thanks for the responses. Some of the rhodys are in pots, some in the ground and I'm not feeding any of them which I suppose is a mistake. I've never pruned them either which I was wondering if I should do but when? My husband says that nobody looks after them in the wild and they all seem to flower great!!

Hi Cuttsy and welcome to GoY. Are the non-flowering rhododendrons in the ground or in containers? Also are you feeding your rhodos and if so what with?

Also, are you pruning them anytime from late summer to spring? Most Rhodies produce next year's flower buds in late summer or fall. If pruned after that, next year's flowering is compromised.

True Tugb.