when is the best time to trim back rose bushes and should the be dead headed all summer

Yes, they should be deadheaded, unless its a rambler or climber grown for its hips, and deadheading doesn't mean just nipping off the flowers - it means cutting a piece of stem at an angle below the flowers back to an outward facing bud, or pointing away from the centre of the bush.. Pruning of roses is carried out in very early spring for bushes and climbers, in early autumn for ramblers.

Thanks for the info on pruning and dead heading Bamboo

bamboo i thank you too ive just been pulling their heads off i watched a man doing what you say at a nursery but i didnt like to ask what he was doing.

Hee hee, you should have asked him to give you a lesson - its quite difficult to describe it in words, much easier to demonstrate. Its a bit of an art, deadheading roses...

My grandmother taught me that roses should be deadheaded back to about the length for a specimen vase - that's at least 6" - 8", depending on where the buds are.