West Midlands, United Kingdom Gb

Ok, my turn .
Lawn mowers. We have about 1/4 of an acre of grass. At present I am using an Arens 21 and it is rubbish. It cuts the grass ok, but it refuses point blank to throw the cuttings into the bag, unless the grass is so dry that it is not growing anyway. Since the machine is supposed to be a mulching one as well, then you would think that using the mulch option would be ok. No, all that happens is that the blade clogs and the engine stops.
That is the background. I am quite prepared to buy another machine, but which one and which kind? Any comments?

hi boggy i have 1/4 acre grass and i keep mine nice with a mountfield clipper ride on it cuts from the front so the wheels do not flatten grass before cutting they mulch only but the upside is there are no big piles of rotting grass .had it 3 years now and has not caused any matting of old grass the way to use this machine is to only cut about 1/4 of the grass blades it does stuggle if crop is more than 4 inches tall but it has a removeable plate so instead of mulch grass is blown through back have a look at mountfield site for the clippers in ride on machines

Thanks, sadly the way the garden is laid out makes a ride on machine not an option. And the cost is way beyond our pockets too, even the refurbished one we looked at recently.

hi again just been looking at mountfield if you decide to have a look they are down the list as mountfield official site but by hell they have gone up in price the ones showing are hydro static drive mine has manual gears a bit cheaper i could not afford the extra but they are better <hydro>

we use a hayter and my hubby says they are good. otherwise not much help to you.

sorry boggy i just looked at your garden may/june i see what you mean that is very nice well layed out i keep most of ours to grass plus small veg patch the ride on was bought because i was working 15 hour days after 2 years walking behind the lawn mower i thought its time for me days so when a small life insurance saving i splashed out and got one

i have a Hayter harrier 56..................... It's done more miles than some family cars. But the thing I like about it is we can cut wet grass, even mow in the rain......
The reason being. It doesn't have a piddly shoot, The opening is the full width of the mower. Although I'm not sure Hayter haven't changed the width now.
Doesn't really matter what mower you pick, as long as it has a full width opening for the grass cuttings to shoot out of. These mower with small opening soon get clogged with damp, never mind wet grass.

Thanks folks. Which recommends a Honda machine so we will go and look at the local dealer. Hayter machines look nice, but the nearest dealer is a bit far away.
Lot of money whatever we do.

But Owd you adore gardening so treat yourself - I know I would if I had a lawn big enough to worry about. You deserve the best after (I presume) gardening for as long as you have.

45 years of it!

« can you grow more plants fr om the pod