By Shahida

essex, United Kingdom Gb

what is the best feed for acer?

I was going to say an ericacious feed but I also add some bonemeal and leaf mulch very year. A mix of that and you will be doing well.

I grow quite a few of these in pots and in the ground, if the planting mix is good and the trees show no signs of distress i cant see the need,if your tree does not look well at this time of year it has probably been frosted or is in a bad position and feeding will not help.

Planted in the ground an acer does not need feeding, in a container simply fork in some compost. Acers are not bothered by frost but do get wind burn.

My Acer palmatum babies get good care - if they need it or not!

Right now we have a howling gale from the south, not at all the usual wind direction, and the leaves are being torn off our Acer palmatum...

I use a slow realease fertiliser in April / May but not any later, as I like the plant to harden up ready for the winter have done this for years and works a treat

I am for the compost idea. I had some sad looking Oaks and a tree expert was helping me. He said to spread the compost around the drip line and in. My trees responded beautifully. He said do it in the Fall.

• bizzy lizzies around acer
  • Little Acer (Acer)
  • Acer palmatum dissectum 'Garnet' (Acer palmatum)
  • Acers For Amblealice from my Fourseasons blog