planting bamboo

clswan

By Clswan

I want to screen an area with bamboo - this is a raised part of the garden that is basically rubble with some soil on top. Does bamboo need much soil depth?
Any advice welcome
thanks
Clare

Answers

Not more than any other tree. Always dig a hole twice as wide and deep as the pot you buy it in, loosen soil around the edges and bottom, put in the plant and backfill, making sure you have no airpockets, as the roots could otherwise rot. I've done so with my bamboo and it grew 10 times its size in 2 years. They are vigerous plants.

Choose a variety that makes a clump, not one that runs everywhere or you will curse it forever as you dig it up from the 'wrong' places.

How deep is the rubble and how deep is the soil on top? If you dig out a large hole in the rubble until you reach the original earth you may get your bamboo to grow and stand up, if the hole is filled in with suitable soil and compost. In any event it should be well drained so will need lots of water in dry weather.