Plant id

By Shazia

Please help me Identify this plant that is growing in my garden - it is deciduous

Definitely Syringa vulgaris. Nice smell, right

thank you Tanja - mystery solved :)

it is a nice specimen of S vulgaris. the flowers are lovely to cut for indoors. though they have a short vase life.

My Grandma would NOT have lilac in the house. She was very superstitious and said that lilac indoors was extremely unlucky. I remember a neighbour once brought her a beautiful bunch from her garden. Grandma, being polite, put them in a vase. That day her roast burned and the Yorkshire puds fell......she took the vase and threw the contents straight out the back door. LOL.

Gilli my mother would not have lilac in the house either - and though I'm not superstitious neither do I.

I've heard that - bad luck in the house. So are snowdrops apparently.....

my mother wouldnt have may/hawthorn indoors as she thought that unlucky but she had and i always do bring lilac indoors. snowdrops too. I 'm not superstitous.'touch wood nothing bad happens'.

I love lilac in a vase. I love the way the fragrance fills the room. My poor Grandma would roll over in her grave if she knew!!! LOL