Cherry tomato planting depth

Muncie, Indiana, United States Us

Hey guys. I just bought some cherry tomato plants. The info tag on it says the plant deep, 80% of the plant... do they mean 80% of the leafy stalk? It seems kinda strange to me..? Just looking for advice on if I am thinking correctly.

they will mean the stalk. tomatoes produce support roots from the stem. if this seems too deep go for 50% but dont get the compost too wet initially as you may get rotting off. I tend to repot mine only slightly deeper each time.

Lainedru, I've had cherry tomatoes come outof my ears, we had that many. I never planted them at all. My daughter threw some left over and gone soggy ones from her lunchbox in my rock garden. Next year I had so many plants and they all produced. I think they grow like weeds, don't worry about being to soft on them, I am sure yours don't need pampering at all. What they do need is water and sun and off they go!

Thanks everybody! Got them planted. Can't wait!