about lemon tree plant

norfolk, United Kingdom Gb

grown from a pip 4 years old . about 4 ft. tall one main stem plenty of side stems but never had flowers. leaves have now gone sticky any ideas whats wrong and how to cure many thanks, gerald

Answers

sticky leaves sound like it is a pest like greenfly or mealybug. they excrete a sticky waste often called honeydew. check it is pest free then wash the leaves to prevent sooty mould developing.

you can buy citrus food at the local gc this might encourage it flower. hope this helps. welcome to GoY too.

I had/have both issues. stucky leaves was a bug so just gave it a pest spray and ok. Also never had any flowers and had mine for about 7-8 years

Gerald, you probably will never get flowers and consequently no lemons either. Lemon trees are grafted and you have to buy them from a nursery. Seedlings behave often totally different from their parent tree and often are weak. I've got some lemon trees and other citrus, all grafted and all fruit bearing. I am sorry I don't have better news for you. But all the same, it is fun experimenting. But I am sorry for you, as the flower of the lemon tree are sooooo beautifully fragrant.

i had a lemon i grew from a pip for years and it did flower and bear fruit so dont give up on it yet. clearly i had no idea what the variety was. commercial ones are grafted as Marguerite says.

ahh the mystery deepens, tell me more about this grafting and how to do it with lemons. I've had my tree so long I dont want to chuck it as I have grown attached to it but I might find some secluded sunny spot in the countryside and put it out to retirement.

The stickiness could be due to Scale insect. I had this problem quite a few years ago with a home grown Lemon Tree. Have a look at the stem and branches, you may find tiny smooth, pale brown dots on it , these are they. Treat with a proprietory spray. It could be that the air is too warm and dry around the plant.

« Details given in the question