an evergreen bush/tree with catkin type flowers which are creamy whiye with a hint of green.What is it,where could I get one and would it grow in a large container?

When does it produce catkins? If its about now, Garrya elliptica would fit the bill - get the variety 'James Roof' it has the longest catkins of all. Better in the ground, but would tolerate a large container for a few years (2-5), though you'd need to prune it yearly once its bigger, probably.

thats what came to my mind by the description Bamboo. they are lovely plants arnt they.

Plantaholic and I have recently posted photos of this plant in flower

I agree it sounds like garrya Elliptica

Here are more links ... I hope they help ...

The wonderful silk tassle tree! Can be easily pruned to remain as a bush too. Cut down after flowering. Any good nursery should have some, especially now as they are flowering. Depending on the size of bush/tree you want a large container should be okay. For a 2m bush/tree I would use a 75l pot minimum, preferably more. Can you let it root out through the bottom of the pot?