what pests are eating my laburnum

Do you mean the wood (bark, branches)? As the tree is deciduous and currently leafless, I can only assume you do. What are the actual signs and symptoms?

The leaves were all eaten away before they had time to drop off. Thinking it was snails I put a ring of vaselene on the stem - but the leaves still were eaten. On examination - couldnt see any sign of insects. Thanks for responding. Margaretl

Ah, well hard to say what the problem was now the leaves are gone. Ask the question again, with photographs preferably, if you have the same problem this year.

Thanks - will send photos if it happens again this year.

Surprised at the laburnum query, as they are usually trouble free ... did you mean viburnum? I have found spraying with rose clear to be the best form of attack that works very well - when done regularly. Every time you spray your roses (if you have) then spray your viburnum. If you don't have roses, then spray with rose clear every few weeks early morning or late evening when there is no direct bright sunlight.

Thanks for your reply - it is a young laburnum tree which has had its leaves eaten,

I live to learn another day! Must be a beetle or caterpillar of some sort ... ?

Thanks very much. regards margaretl

Hello, after asking at my local garden centre, they recommend you check out the following website, with regards to aphids and thrips on viburnums ... Hope this helps.

Thankyou Avkq47 - will certainly do that.

Sorry ... laburnums is what I meant, not viburnums!! :-)

Yes - I gathered that - thanks for reply