By Dan22

South Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

O.K I went outside today to find my 4 little cordyline shoots sat in a puddle of water (waterlogged) so i drained the soil with a trench and is no longer sat in the puddle. Will the action have saved the plant from rot.

Should do, if the plant isn't waterlogged now.

In the long run, some variation on a French drain may be necessary, if this is a recurring problem--and you don't want to keep stumbling into the trench! : )

How long can it stay waterlogged without rotting.

There is also clay in the soil.

Presumably this is just a temporary problem from the amount of wild weather and excessive rain we've been having - you certainly need to keep an eye on it, I wouldn't leave it waterlogged for longer than 24 hours personally, and certainly not more than 2 days.

from my lmtd experiance cordalines dont realy like it to wet at all so i agree with bamboo .id perhaps think of moving it very early spring while its dorement and put something in that like the wet more .

If the spot your cordaline in is prone to water, then I agree with Noseypotter - you need to move it to a free drainage site with protection from cold prevailing winds. Perhaps japanese iris would do better in that spot?