What type of soil and feeding does Chamaerops humilis need

By Yanna

I have a Chamaerops Humilis growing in a large fixed container in my garden. I have had it for about 4 years and it is now about 1.5M X 1.5M (above the soil line). It has started to yellow on its lower leaves it has been suggested that it either needs feeding or the Ph of the soil is wrong the soil has tested as neutral. Should I feed it and if so what with?

On plant Chamaerops humilis

The lower leaves will die off and the trunk will gradually become taller. Young plants need extra phosphorus to encourage good root development. Established plants can benefit from fertilizer every year. Fertilizers that are high in nitrogen will promote green leafy growth. It is best to avoid fertilizing late in the growing season. Applications made at that time can force lush, vegetative growth that will not have a chance to harden off before the onset of cold weather. We use an all-purpose fertilizer - Wilko's best!

• Chamaerops humilis (Chamaerops humilis (Dwarf Fan Palm))
  • Flower bud......... (Chamaerops humilis (Dwarf Fan Palm))
  • Another one for the jungle..... (Chamaerops humilis (Dwarf Fan Palm))
  • Chamaerops humilis 'cerifera' - Blue Mediterranean Fan Palm (Chamaerops humilis 'cerifera' - Blue Mediterranean Fan Palm)