By Alextb

London, England Eng

Are there any specific care instructions I should know about for ornamental cabbage?

Not really - they're good for about 3 months, after that you usually find they've got leggy, with a long stalk, and dropped open.

7 Dec, 2011

I remember receiving flowers once and there was ornamental cabbage in the bouquet I'm sure they work fine in a garden but the house stank of cabbage!

7 Dec, 2011

They hate the wet and cold !!!!
Like Bamboo said 12 weeks !!!
Such a shame they dont last longer all the hype when they first came out , I dont bother anymore plus ££ not cheep and to have one or two looks sad lol

7 Dec, 2011

Avoid them like the plague. They need to have the outside leaves taken off regularly when they start to rot otherwise the whole plant will rot off. The slugs like them just as much as ordinary cabbage and will keep them feeding throughout the winter.

7 Dec, 2011

O.K, thank you everyone.

7 Dec, 2011

I disagree with Jimmytheone by the way, Alextb - I think they're beautiful - but when they go over, pull em out and bin them, don't let them continue to grow on.

7 Dec, 2011

Cold isn't so much the problem, since they will last into the beginning of December in New York City, but continuous gray, rainy days is another matter. Lime, good drainage, and full exposure help, but aren't a total cure.

7 Dec, 2011

Oh right, thanks Bamboo. I have a purple one hich is very nice.

Thanks for the advice Tugbrethil.

7 Dec, 2011

can moss and weeds be cmposted »