By Miner

Derbyshire, United Kingdom Gb

what is the best way to protect my hydrangea from the winter weather,its set in the ground,have bought a fleece bag are these ok?

They don't usually need protection as long as they are garden varieties. Are you in a very exposed position? They are happy at the seaside and put up with strong winds there. Leave the dead flowerheads on to help shelter the buds. the advice on here this autumn has been that if you use fleece you should only use it in harsh weather and not leave it on all the time. If it is a very small one and you are worried you could surround it with some sticks or canes and put some straw or something similar inside to help insulate the stems.

If it isn't a garden variety (eg one bought at a florists) it would be best brought under shelter as it would be unlikely to survive a cold winter outside.

Bit like me Steragram... "Happy at the seaside and put up with strong winds there". Haha

Agree with Steragram, doesn't need protection, though it should not be pruned or clipped in any way before about April, as growth begins.

thank you all for your advice,much appreciated.

Me too Myron, and we sure get those winds here! And good luck Miner.