Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom Gb

I have just acquired my first ever greenhouse. It is a 6ft hexagonal. As it is October what can I do in it now? I am too impatient to wait for spring.

Some of the plants that do very well in the winter greenhouse without costing a fortune include Kale, carrots, radish, lettuce, Swiss chard or any other plants that are not susceptible to frost.

You could try growing potatoes in large pots, they might be ready to have with your Christmas dinner if you're lucky, but usually take about 70 days min from planting to harvest.

Chard, carrots and lettuce are all susceptible to frost Myron. I'd go with Bilbo's suggestion.

Could cover them with fleece in frosty weather. Probably grow lots of tatties though :)

Okay I'm going to take a step back Gran do you have soil in your greenhouse or staging to hold pots etc.?

Hi, Thanks for your suggestions. I do not have soil in my greenhouse but I do have staging for trays and pots. I also have electricity in my greenhouse but have not bought a heater yet.

I'd definitely go with Bilbo's suggestion then. You can also grow salad leaves and radishes. If you have a vegetable garden you can start of your seedlings in the greenhouse in early spring.

Good one Bilbo

Thank you for your suggestions. You have given lots to think about. I shall definitely try the fuchsias and geraniums. I shall keep you updated on my progress. I think this is a great site.

« why is a minature fir bush going brown