west lothian-Scotland, Scotland Sco

Hi, should I split these Primula Vialli clumps now or wait until spring.? they flowered beautifully for months and one clump are trying to flower again so not sure what to do Thanks

Sam_1615 Sam_1614

Hi Helen,

Spring is better as dividing them weakens the roots. Do it now and the wind and snow may weaken them too much.

thanks Kildermorie

Hi Helen, is there a reason you want to split them? We tend to let ours clump up.

Personally, I divide them every spring as I think they look better (certainly grow larger) as single plants. You also gain more plants for the border. They also seem to flower more strongly as have less competition.

I think Foxgloves look great in a clumps but Primrose and Primula (Primulae?) as singles, but that is personal taste.

your probably right MG , I just thought it would be best for them?

It is indeed personal taste Kildermorie - I think individual single rosette primulas look like bedding plants 'but' that is just my point of view. I do split them when they get to be too big of a clump.