By Funguy

Berkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Potato Scab - Is it okay to eat potatoes that have scab?

It is the raised wart like scabby growth not powdery.
All my potatoes have it (only a bucket full but still!).

Yes, your potatoes should be safe to eat. Peel away the scab, burn the peelings. Your soil must be on the acid side, lime now and do not plant potatoes in that area for at least two years.

It is acidic and sandy, dry. Thanks DocBob, for the bad news,lol

I grew potatoes in bags this year and had the same problem. Still here to tell the tale and the potatoes were lovely.

We had some last night aswell Grannyb and as you say, still lovely - with just butter, salt and pepper.

Doctorbob, i was wondering... if i add lime is it still okay to add lots of organic material i.e Manure, garden compost, to the soil? Or should i hold off adding the organic material for a few months after liming?

Let the lime work and test your PH, have a good supply of compost etc. to dig in Jan/Feb. 2 weeks before planting top dress your potato plots with a dressing of John Innes One base fertiliser 2 ounces to 1 square yard.

Thanks DocBob, much appreciated.