By Hib

North Humberside, United Kingdom Gb

I have recently retired and so have lots more time for my garden. I live on the east coast half a mile from the sea. I also have a large greenhouse (unheated). What veg can I grow over the winter months to make good use of my garden and greenhouse?

Hi Hib and welcome to GoY. Unless you have already got them started or can find a nursery or GC selling veggie plants (unlikely at this time of year) there is not a lot you can do over winter. This sowing guide is a pretty good one and will tell you what you can sow now

Our local GC has cabbage plants for sale. As I'm a novice veg grower I won't give any advice but would like to recommend two books that I have found very useful

1: Grow your own Vegetables - Joyce Larkcom

2. Vegetable Growing Month by Month - John Harrison

both are available either new or used from

of course there are lots and lots of books out there, I referred to these a lot and then there is "GoYs" site full of experts. LOL

thanks both of you.Moon growe that sowing chart is very useful. Grannyb , thanks for the names of those books , I have been looking up in a good book this afternoon called Allotment - month by month by Alan Buckingham which has given me some good pointers.

The Allotment book is a good one and you can also get masses of info. on line these days.