By 20st0ne

Antrim, Ireland Ie

when is the right time to purchase and plant tulips? Thnx!

I suppose Sept-Dec is the best time. You can get Tulip bulbs very cheap at the end of Dec and (if the ground is not frozen) pop them in the ground then.

Hello and Welcome 20stOne

I ordered my tulips in April and my delivery in Sept and shall be planting them then.

Or plant them all in containers they making a stunning show in a pot.

Good luck.

Buy and plant as soon as they come into the shops. Otherwise, order on-line like Scotkat and plant as soon as delivered. The on-line company will send them to you at the right time.

I read somewhere that you can plant them in November and they will be ok for the Spring. How ever I usually read the packet recommendations and go by that.

I have read that November is better than planting earlier - I wish i could remember why...

Thank you for this info, I have been impressed with some of the early displays around my area but have never grew them before. I have started gardening at a late stage, so it is trial by error for me, but I know my fellow members will keep me right. Cheers.

Usually you wait until the soil is fairly cool before planting, because new bulbs can rot in warm, moist soil. on the other hand, they need to grow roots before the soil freezes, so you are usually shooting for 3-5 weeks before then.

please can anyone ID this plant »